Tuesday, November 30, 2010

FLAVOUR VERSUS PRESENTATION

Have you ever gone to a restaurant and been baffled on why there are so many contrasting flavours and over top presentation on your plate.

All Chefs always want their food to look appealing and presentable to the eye, sometime not as much effort is dedicated to flavours used to create the dish.

One of my previous employers once said keep it simple, stupid or the kiss approach as its known, my philosophy is taken from Gordon Ramsay which is “Less is More”.

Having worked in many fine dining restaurants I fully understand the importance of presentation and creating that visual wow factor however I do not think it should be taken to the extreme.

In my opinion food should be true to itself I believe in using the finest fresh ingredients available preparing them well creating a dish with emphasis three to four flavours being expressed at any given time.

I am sure many chef’s  will disagree, elaborate presentation gives chef’s the opportunity to show their artistic talent, my belief is presentation needs to appealing, vibrant but most of all it must taste great.

No comments:

Post a Comment